Australian Visas

Employer Sponsored Visas

Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)

Basic Eligibility

You must have the necessary skills for the job

You must be nominated by an Australian employer

You must meet our health and character requirements

The Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) allows eligible Australian employers to sponsor suitably skilled overseas workers to live and work permanently in Australia.

The Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186) is a Permanent Residency visa. Once granted, it allows the holder (and any family members included in the application) to:

stay in Australia indefinitely

work and study in Australia (without restriction)

travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted

enrol in Medicare (Australia’s universal health care scheme)

apply for Australian citizenship (subject to eligibility)

sponsor eligible relatives for a variety of temporary and permanent Australian visas

Business, Investment and Retirement Visas

Business Owner (Subclass 890) & State Territory Nominated Business Owner (Subclass 892)

The Business Owner Visa Subclass 890 and the State Territory Nominated Business Owner Subclass 892 are designed to attract business people to assist with the economic development of Australia. This pathway allows permanent residency for successful applicants and family members who have also been granted this visa.

Visa Requirements:

At the time of making the application applicants need to:

  1. have held a qualifying provisional visa e.g. subclass 162 / 163 visa for at least two years.
  2. have maintained net assets in the business in Australia over the 12 months immediately before the application is made of at least AUD100,000; and have had an ownership interest in 1 or more actively operating businesses in Australia for at least 2 years immediately before the application is made; Ownership of 51 per cent where the business turnover is less than AUD400 000, 30 per cent where the business turnover is AUD400 000 or more or 10 per cent where the business is a publicly listed company.
  3. in the 12 months immediately before the application is lodged the applicant’s business must achieved a turnover of at least AUD300,000;
  4. applicants must have employed at least 2 full-time employees (or a number of part-time employees working an equivalent number of hours) being Australian citizens or permanent residents;
  5. applicant must have maintained net assets in Australia over the 12 months immediately before the application is made of at least AUD250,000;
  6. applicant must not have been involved in unacceptable business activities; and
  7. applicant must have spent at least 12 months in Australia over the 2 years immediately prior to lodging the application as the holder of a provisional visa.

Onshore and Offshore Partner Visas

Onshore Partner visa (Subclasses 820 and 801)

Basic Eligibility

In most circumstances, you must be the spouse (married) or de facto partner of an:

Australian citizen

Australian permanent resident or

eligible New Zealand citizen


Allows the partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.

You apply for the temporary and the permanent partner visas together.

Australian Partner Visa Categories

There are three broad categories of the partner visa:

  1. Temporary partner visa

The application for a partner visa in Australia is a 2-stage process. The first stage entails getting the temporary partner visa which is a provisional visa for de facto and spouses partners of Australian Citizens. Typically, partners qualify for the permanent partner visa two years after applying for the temporary partner visa.


  1. Permanent partner visa

In most cases, partners need to prove that they have stayed for two years with their Australian partner after acquiring the temporary partner visa. There are exceptions to this rule. You may qualify for the permanent visa without having to wait for two years if:

You have five years or more of marriage or de facto relationship with your Australian partner

There are dependent children in your two years or more marriage or de facto relationship

You were in a documented relationship with your spouse before thy obtained a protection visa or permanent visa


  1. Prospective spouse visa

The prospective spouse visa is for fiancés and fiancées of future Australian marriage partners. The prospective spouse visa allows you to stay in Australia for nine months, during which period you can marry in the country and apply for a partner visa.

Skilled Migration Visa

Skilled Nominated visa (Subclass 190)

Work and live in Australia with this permanent resident work visa. Certain foreign-national skilled workers who hold occupations on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List may be eligible for a Subclass 190 visa. This visa requires the applicant to complete a skills test and be nominated by a state or territory government.


Pareant Visas

Parents may be eligible to migrate to Australia if their child (natural, adopted or step-child) is in Australia and is an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.


Eligibility Criteria

To apply for a parent visa, you must be sponsored by your child, or another eligible sponsor, in Australia. Your spouse and other dependent family members may be included in your application if they meet the specified requirements. To be eligible for this visa, you must pass the Balance of Family test and meet age requirements.


Parent Visa Categories

There are currently six classes of Parent visas which fall into two major categories – non-contributory and contributory. They may also be classified on the basis of an applicant’s age; and temporary and permanent residence. Permanent options allow a five-year stay in Australia (following which you will need to apply for further visas, such as Resident Return Visas, to continue living lawfully in Australia), work and study, access Medicare, travel, and eventually consider application for citizenship.


Resident Return visa (Subclasses 155 and 157)

The Resident Return Visa is for permanent residents whose five-year permanent residence visa has or is about to expire, or by former Australian citizens who have renounced their citizenship status.


Must be either

  • an Australian permanent resident
  • a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
  • a former Australian citizen who lost or renounced Australian citizenship. Australian citizens are not eligible to apply for an RRV.

If you are already in Australia as a permanent visa holder, you do not need to apply for this visa unless you wish to leave and re-enter Australia as a permanent resident.